This area focuses on the historic road junction, now a prominent roundabout, at the entrance to Sydenham Road where the historic thoroughfares Westwood Hill and Kirkdale converge.
Two of the area’s landmark buildings are located here: the former Cobb’s Department Store, built in 1902, and the Victorian Greyhound Pub.
The pub was part of the development brought about when Crystal Palace was moved to Sydenham in 1854. Cobb’s Corner (as it was later known) was the higher class end of Sydenham with houses such as No. 2 Lawrie Park Road and the Cedars (Grade II listed) being built for the wealthy people who wanted to move to this up and coming area.
The conservation area consist of two distinct character areas. The first encompasses the commercial properties surrounding the roundabout and the western end of Sydenham Road. The second comprises residential streets mainly to the north and north-west. These feature some interesting Victorian and Edwardian houses, mostly in form of terraces or pairs of semi-detached.
Of note are the lofty Victorian terraces at Peak Hill Gardens and the Arts-and-Crafts influenced houses at the southern side of Peak Hill.