Lewisham Council - Dropped kerbs (crossover)

Crossovers (dropped kerbs and white lines)

If you need to drive across the pavement to get your vehicle into your driveway, then you must, by law, have a crossover constructed.

 A crossover is an area of lowered pavement and kerbs which gives access for vehicles from a road across the pavement and onto a driveway or parking area on a private property.

The crossover must be constructed by Lewisham's highway maintenance contractor, to our specifications. This is because only qualified contractors are permitted to work on the highway. In this way we can be sure that when crossovers are installed, the services that lie under the pavement are not put in jeopardy.



Once we have received your application form, a highway inspector will visit your home to check that a crossover would cause no road safety problems. We will then send you an estimated cost for the work. The cost is based on a price per square metre and will vary according to the width of the pavement.

We will send you our estimate within five working weeks and will normally carry out the works within eight weeks of receiving payment.

White crossover bar markings

We can also provide a white crossover bar marking, a white line which runs across your driveway parallel to the kerb line. This emphasises that there is a driveway there and discourages obstructive parking.

Special cases

​You live...
in a Council-owned property​ Contact your local housing office and discuss what you want to do. Once permission has been granted, you can go ahead with your application to the Highways Maintenance Group.​
in a conservation area​ You may need to get planning consent. ​
on a red route​
You will need consent from Transport for London. Once you have gained their consent, you will also need to get planning consent.​
on a classified road​ You will need to get planning consent. ​


Highway Maintenance Group
London Borough Of Lewisham
Laurence House
1 Catford Road
Se6 4ru


Top story

Council services over the Christmas and New Year period

Find out about changes to council services over the Christmas and New Year period.

Content Promos