The area was designated in 1975. It represents a good example of a late 19th century suburban residential development, the central core of which comprises a coherent group of Victorian villas.
The properties were built in the 1880s along the existing historic road pattern on land previously used for pasture and brick making. They comprise a distinctive unit immediately recognisable from the surrounding later development. With the exception of the post-war flat development at the junction of Garlies Road and Perry Rise, the whole estate has remained virtually intact.
The houses themselves are mostly of two storeys and are either detached or semi-detached. Most of them are constructed in yellow London stock brick with stone sills and lintels, decorative eaves and chimney details, and hipped slate roofs. The one-over-one sash vertical sliding sash window is the predominant window type in the area.
The houses fronting Woolstone Road and Perry Rise south of Garlies Road exhibit more variety in their styles, and some have red brick fronts. Houses in Allenby and Garlies Road, and those fronting Perry Rise between these two roads, comprise a coherent and distinctive core to the conservation area. Stylistically, they are within a narrow range of houses typical of the 1870-80s. Their spacious and leafy front gardens greatly add to the distinctive suburban feel to the area.
In the north-west corner the conservation area also contains the Perry Vale Fire Station, built in 1902 by the London County Council in the Arts and Crafts style, and now statutorily listed.
Article 4 direction
We have made an Article 4 direction to specified streets within the conservation area to encourage the retention of high quality architectural features and ensure that changes are undertaken sympathetically.
To check whether your street is covered by the direction contact us on 020 8314 7400 or firstname.lastname@example.org.