The area was designated in 1990 and takes its name from one of the semaphores that was located here from 1795 to transfer messages between the Admiralty and its fleet during the Napoleonic wars.
The houses we see today were built from 1871 under the control of the then landowner, the Worshipful Company of Haberdashers, who set out strict guidelines to ensure the quality of their middle class estate.
The Telegraph Hill Conservation Area Appraisal sets out the character of the area which we seek to preserve and enhance. The information contained within is used in the determination of planning applications in the area.
Article 4 direction
We have made an Article 4 direction to encourage the retention of high quality architectural features and ensure that changes are undertaken sympathetically.