Apply for housing benefit and council tax reduction

Apply for housing benefit and council tax reduction

You can apply online for housing benefit and council tax reduction.

Due to planned maintenance, you will be unable to manage your benefit account from 6pm on Friday 20 October until 9am on Monday 23 October.

This means you won't be able to make a housing benefit or council tax reduction claim, report a change in circumstances, upload documents or view information about your claim online.

Who can apply

You can claim housing benefit and council tax reduction if all of the following apply:

  • you’re liable to pay rent and/or council tax
  • you have savings of less than £16,000 (unless you getting pension credit)
  • you are over 16 years of age
  • you get income support, jobseeker’s allowance (income-based) or pension credit, or you are living on a low income.

How to apply

If your postcode starts with SE16 3, SE15 1 or SE15 2

If you live in one of these postcode areas, you must apply for universal credit, instead of housing benefit.

You’ll still need to apply for council tax reduction from us.

Find out more about universal credit.

Everyone else

Documents we need to have

See a list of documents we need to see when we process your application.

Need help understanding English?

Ask for help from someone you can trust. This could be a member of your family, a close friend or a neighbour.