Lewisham Council - Forster Memorial Park

Menu

Forster Memorial Park

Forster Memorial Park is a popular public park off Whitefoot Lane. It is unusual in that the central area of amenity grassland is surrounded by a ring of relict ancient woodland.

​In this section ​

This park was originally part woodland, part fields, and owned by the Forster family. In 1919 Lord Forster, a local resident and Governor General of Australia between 1920 and 1925, made a gift of part of his estate as a memorial to his two sons, Alfred and John, who were both killed during the First World War.

The ancient woodland provides peace and tranquillity in a heavily urbanised area. The park has a number of play and sports facilities, including new children's playgrounds, two full-sized football pitches and one junior pitch - there's even a BMX track. The park is patrolled by an on-site park keeper.

Access and facilities

The park is serviced by: Bus (route 336)

Facilities

  • Play area
  • Skate park
  • BMX track and cycle proficiency area
  • Cycle route
  • Football pitch
  • Friends of the park group
  • Playclub
  • Toilets.

Related pages

Content Promos