With backing from Transport for London (TfL), during 2012/13 we have made significant improvements to Sydenham Road and Kirkdale, including new paving, 'pocket squares' and road crossings.
We have also secured funding from Transport for London for further highway improvements to the footways and carriageway between Mayow Road and Kent House Road. These include:
- laying high-quality reinforced paving slabs on the footways between The Dolphin pub and the Wesley Hall on the north side of Sydenham Road and between the Lidl supermarket and Kent House Road on the south side of the road
- constructing linked footways across Sydenham Road's junctions with Trewsbury Road and Knighton Park Road
- providing high-quality concrete block footway crossovers to all driveways
- re-landscaping the area in front of the business premises at no’s 162–176 Sydenham Road
- resurfacing the carriageway of Sydenham Road between Mayow Road and Kent House Road
- removing all redundant traffic signs and signposts
- upgrading the bus stops to improve access for residents with reduced mobility.
This work should be completed by the end of January 2014.
Following this, and subject to further funding, the intention is to extend these works towards Bell Green during 2014–15. The extent of this will be dependent upon the level of investment that can be secured.